ELMENDARO TOWNSHIP PUBLIC LIBRARY “ INTERNET USE POLICY
Elmendaro Township Library presently has five public-use computers with access to the Internet.Internet use of those computers is by sign-up sheet located at the circulation desk.Users of the patron computers must read, agree to abide by, and sign the library’s Internet Code of Ethics, as well as the Rules and Regulations for using the patron computers. The library staff will only provide limited hands-on computer assistance.
Elmendaro Township Library also provides wireless Internet access as a service to our patrons. The wireless connection is available to those having a notebook/laptop or other wireless device with wireless networking during the hours of 6:00am – 10:00pm. Users may encounter dead spots where the wireless reception may be limited; the library does not guarantee that patrons will be able to make a wireless connection. The wireless connection is unfiltered; a patron choosing to use this service also agrees to abide by the library’s Internet Code of Ethics. This wireless connection is not secure; information sent to and from a patron’s device may be captured by anyone else with a wireless device and the appropriate software. The library assumes no responsibility for the safety of patron equipment or files resulting from connection to the library’s wireless access.
The Internet offers access to ideas and information from around the world. However, not all sources on the Internet are accurate, complete, or current. The library does not monitor, nor have control over, material found in sources on the Internet; the library does not accept responsibility for content found on the Internet. Users of all ages are encouraged to use the Internet in positive and educational ways.
Code of Ethics
Responsible, ethical use of the Internet includes:
1. Using the Internet for educational, informational, and recreation purposes not for unauthorized, illegal, nor unethical purposes.
2. Not harassing or maliciously offending other users.
3. Not seeking unauthorized access to any computer system, or damaging or altering software components of any network or database. Not attempting to modify or gain access to files, passwords, or data belonging to others.
4. Not sending, receiving, or displaying text or graphics which may in any way be construed as obscene.
5.Not violating copyright laws or software licensing agreements.
Rules and Regulations for using the Library Patron Computers
1. Users of the Library Patron Computers must have a current, signed User Release and Indemnity form filed with Elmendaro Township Library.
2. The computer terminal can be reserved for 30-minutes sessions. Reservations are taken on a signup sheet at the circulation desk on a same-day basis and may be made telephone or in person.Users may reserve only one session in any 24-hour period.Latecomers (10 minutes) forfeit their reserved time.Bookings may be cancelled without notice if there are problems with the computer system.
3. Patron conversation, internet sounds, and visuals should not disturb other library users.
4. Patrons may not use their own software on the Library computers; individuals found doing so may lose their computer privileges.
5.A basic family filter has been applied to our Patron Computers.The Internet and its resources may contain material of a controversial or mature nature. Patrons need to remember that the library is a public place; there are information resources on the Internet that are inappropriate for viewing in a public setting. Library staff has the right to end Internet sessions when such material is displayed.
6. Children age 7 and under must be accompanied by an adult or an authorized caregiver when using the computers.